Monday, November 2, 2009

Morning on Sunset Boulvevard, night near the airport...


I've mostly been enjoying the diurnal pleasures of L.A. -- the dry sunwashed greenery of Sunset Blvd to the west of the 405, just beneath the Getty. A benefit for the industrious and excellent Red Hen Press, which celebrated their fifteenth anniversary yesterday at a glittery afternoon reading/lunch/champagne reception, with a room full of wonderful writers; Jamaica Kincaid, Wanda Coleman, Alicia Ostriker, Chris Abani. Today I'm off to read at Claremont College with Alicia and with the charming and very witty Matthea Harvey -- pleasure all around, and Los Angeles is co-operating with suprisingly clear skies, so that all the details of the mountains are visible. Not the way I'm used to seeing this place. And during a Northeastern November, southern California is fantastically inviting.

Daylight beauty aside, I'm posting a noirish photo, an iconic donut stand near LAX. I like how crushingly enormous that vast pastry is.

5 comments:

MonicaJBrown said...

"I like how crushingly enormous that vast pastry is."

Thank you, Mark. Your blog posts always make me think or smile.

Michelle Panik said...

Love the photo!

Mari said...

That donut's been there for decades. Good to see it again!

LeeAnn Patrick said...

Yes, and the sad part is that vast pastry can only make me crushingly enormous as well!

Unknown said...

I remember that donut from my childhood in LA. We used to pass it on the way to my grandparent's house. Thanks for the memory, Mark...