Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A different sort of list

Tomorrow night in Manhattan, the Lambda Literary Awards. I'm delighted by the list of finalists for gay men's poetry:

* Want, Rick Barot, Sarabande Press
* Please, Jericho Brown, New Issues
* Fire to Fire, Mark Doty, Harper
* Now You're the Enemy, James Allen Hall, Univ. of Arkansas Press
* My Vocabulary Did This to Me: The Collected Poetry of Jack Spicer, Jack Spicer, edited by Peter Gizzi & Kevin Killian, Wesleyan University Press

Fantastic company! I've already won two of these, and Jack Spicer has no use for an award in paradise, so I'd vote for one of three younger poets -- each of whom, by a happy accident, was my student at one time or another. Not that I had anything to do with their flowering, just that I take pleasure in seeing their terrific work coming to light!

No comments: